Home > Excursions, Family > It’s a dry heat

It’s a dry heat

March 20th, 2005

Greetings from sunny overcast Arizona! We didn’t exactly plan coming out here, but when Joe’s mom called on Friday freaking out and saying she needed us because his father wasn’t doing well, we didn’t have much choice. We rushed home from work around 11 am and started packing. Unfortunately, due to it being a weekend and Spring Break, there were absolutely ZERO flights out to Phoenix. We even tried flights into Tucson or out of St. Louis, Missouri. No go. There wasn’t anything until Sunday and it was $600 one way for one person. :p

So we got in the car and drove. And drove. And drove some more. We will never ever drive out here again. I would rather risk dying in a plane crash than sitting in my little Jetta for two days straight. We left at 2 pm on Friday and didn’t get here until 11 pm yesterday. Granted, we spent 5 1/2 hours sleeping in a Motel 8 in Cantoosa, Oklahoma, but I had a huge migraine and couldn’t take any more driving.

Joe’s brother, sister-in-law and aunt are on their way here as well. They drove too, but left later than us, so they are still on the road. They’ve never made the drive before, so I can only imagine how they must feel. At least they have a roomier SUV, though.

It’s so good to feel clean again! We hadn’t showered since Friday morning. We’re staying with Joe’s sister until sometime later this week when we have to repeat the drive from hell. I’m thinking if we have to be out here any way, we might as well take a different way home, and if time permits, see the Grand Canyon. Not sure what we’ll do yet though. Thank god I have a understanding boss – I don’t even have the time available to be gone this week but she said I could make up some of the time (most of it was already slotted for our Wedding later this year).

I really hope Joe’s dad is going to be ok. Since we started our trip he’s at least woken up (before he wasn’t waking up even after all the medication he was on was out of his system), but we’ve been told he’s having trouble seeing things. He can’t talk because of his breathing tube, so we’re not sure how much he understands of what is going on. They are supposed to run more tests on him. The way they are talking, it sounds like he might have some brain damage, which doesn’t make sense since they claim the surgery went well. It reeks of malpractice to me, but I guess we’ll see.

We’re heading over to the hospital soon so I’ll update again when I have the time.

Categories: Excursions, Family Tags:
  1. March 21st, 2005 at 08:38 | #1

    I hope Joe’s dad is ok :(

Comments are closed.